Who SHOULD rent from KTC?
Renting kayaks from KTC on Minnehaha Creek is perfect for couples, families and friends of (almost) all ages. Looking for something to fill a gorgeous day off or a lazy weekend day? Feeling adventurous? Want to see the city from a totally different vantage point? If you live in the Twin Cities, but have never been on the creek you will be amazed that this creek is right here. You'll feel like you are on vacation without the travel. If you are visiting from out of town, you will love to see the city as you never have before. If you love to kayak, but have only lake kayaked - this is so much better. If you have never kayaked and want to see if its the sport for you, you should rent from KTC.
Who CAN rent from KTC?
- Anyone over the age of 18 can rent the kayaks.
- No one under the age of 12 can kayak with KTC for liability reasons AND a parent or guardian MUST be with anyone 12-18 at all times. It is recommended that there are at least one adult in the group for every two that are between the ages of 12 - 16. (If water levels are high, the minimum age will be raised to 14).
- This creek has many areas of small rapids and fast moving water - know your child's temperament, endurance and ability and that of the others in your group.
- You WILL get wet and it's possible that you could get dumped out of your kayak. You must be comfortable and willing to stand in moving water up to waist deep and be willing and able to empty the water out of your kayak and get back in with little to no assistance.
- At times you will encounter small rapids, low hanging tree branches and will need to be able to make quick decisions and have quick reactions to these conditions.
- The weight limit on the kayaks is 250 lbs., and you must be able to get from a floor seated position relatively easily unassisted.
- If you have wrist, shoulder or back problems, this is not for you (sorry).
- No paddling experience necessary. You will get shoreside instruction.
What will I get when I rent from KTC?
The available rentable sections of the creek are determined by season, creek conditions, downed trees, construction barriers and current water flow. Tamara will use these factors to determine which section of the creek KTC will be on at any given time. You must be flexible - all the sections are great. She will do her best to post this information ahead of time, but it is subject to change. Tamara and her team will meet you at the designated input location on the day of your rental with the kayaks, paddles and lifejackets for your creek run. They will give you great paddling advice, tell you what you will see and help launch you. At the end of your paddle, they will meet up with you and help pull you out of the water. Easy.
* The creek can easily be divided into 3-4 different 2-3 hour sections, depending on water flow. If the level is a little low or too high, some sections may be too difficult. Tamara will determine which sections are just perfect for the day ahead of time and let you know.
When can I rent from KTC?
Season: KTC is open to business from May 1st through mid October as the weather and stream conditions allow. Because both of these things are so variable, you will need an extra bit of flexibility for this adventure.
Weather: Safe conditions for water activities must exist.
Stream conditions: If there has been heavy rain in the previous couple of days, it's possible that the creek will be too high and fast to safely kayak. Downed trees can also be barriers to safe passage at times. Rarely is the creek too low to kayak - if you are willing to get out and walk in the water a bit as needed. The creek's flow is determined by snow melt, rain and by the amount of water discharged from Gray's Bay Dam on Lake Minnetonka.
Times: KTC is ready to rent Thursdays - Sundays. Closed on Mondays through Wednesdays*. First time slot is 8:30 am. Second time slot is 1:30 pm. Late afternoon time slots MAY be available late June through early August, check the calendar. (Sunset determines the last start time.) Your paddle time is 2-3 hours, with an extra 30 minutes of shore time at the beginning and end. Plan for up to 4 hours total.
* You are welcome to ask about additional time slots for groups of 6 or more. We will try to make it work for you if we are available.
Cancellation policy / weather / water flow You will pay in full when you book online. If the weather is unsuitable for kayaking (rain, cold temperatures or high winds) or if the water flow is too low or too high, Tamara will contact you to reschedule on a future date. You will be given as much notice as possible. If rescheduling cannot happen before the end of the season you will be refunded. KTC will attempt to accommodate client requested rescheduling with at least 3 days notice with no penalty. Cancellations with less than 3 days notice cannot be refunded.